Wednesday, June 29, 2016

When it comes to allotments I am firmly a "vegetable" man. However I do think that a few flowers to encourage the bees is a good thing. I also like a little bit of a challenge. Early in the year I found that somebody had dumped the contents of a flower pot on the grass at the end of the Portakabin. On closer inspection at the pile of compost I could see the brown twiggy remains of a plant and took a closer look and found that the root ball was intact. I picked it up and took it back to the greenhouse and potted it up and waited for the green shoots of recovery on a nothing ventured nothing gained basis. Sure enough, a few green shoots appeared eventually and the shoots sprouted a few leaves and then it grew a bit taller. Eventually it sprouted some flower buds that had an intense wine red colour. At this point, I took it out of the greenhouse for it to get some outside air. This was the result. A beautiful Campagnula to reward my efforts.
In the background of the photo you can see Penstemons. In spring I took a load of cuttings from them when I cut them back and did the same with the Osteospermums at home. Most of the cuttings took and I now have lots of plants that Ann and I will be selling at the Glen Gardens Summer Fair on Saturday. Money from selling the plants will go in aid of the York branch of the National Osteoporosis Society. Ann will have a stall at the fair with information and advice on Osteoporosis.

No comments: